Gastrointestinal operation is a method of operating and diagnosis of different GI diseases.
This surgery is a treatment of various diseases associated with a different part of the body involved in indigestion. This includes body parts like the stomach, esophagus, small or large intestine, rectum also other parts like liver, gallbladder, and pancreas.
This surgery can be used to remove any cancerous or noncancerous growth or any damaged part of the body like the intestine. Surgery can be done on both lower and upper GI tracts to screen and diagnose the difficulties.
Some gastrointestinal dysfunction that can be treated through GI Surgery:
- Gastric Cancers: Surgery is performed for removal in case of cancerous tumors in the digestive system. your surgeon may also remove a part of the affected area like in the treatment of liver cancer
- Appendicitis: Appendicitis happens when your appendix becomes inflamed or it might get filled with pus
- Diverticular disease: it’s a general condition in which small sacs or pockets form in the colon ( large intestine) once this sac inflamed it may cause pain, in most cases this does not require any surgery but if you have lots of diverticula that are causing pain your doctor might suggest you surgery to remove that part of the intestine
- Gallstones: Gallstones are a common problem of the gallbladder that can be removed by surgery
- Hiatal hernia and GERD: Hiatal hernia happens when the stomach pushes itself through the diaphragm into the patient’s chest cavity, hiatal hernia may also cause GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease) your doctor might perform a surgery called fundoplication, which also improve the flow to acid
- Hernia: Hernia happens When a part of your body comes through a weak wall of muscles or it bulges out through the skin. it can be very painful, In the case of a hernia Gastrointestinal surgeon repair the weak wall
- Crohn’s Disease: In the case of inflammatory bowel diseases when your immune system attacks its intestine and causes damage or pain, a bowel resection surgery is performed in which damaged parts are removed.
- Rectal Prolapse: a condition where a large section of the intestine slips out of the anus, most people require surgery for its treatment
To screen and diagnose the problems of the digestive system endoscopy (surgical procedure) is used. In this procedure, the doctor puts a long tube with a tiny camera into the patient’s body to see the inside of the digestive system. Surgery can be open or laparoscopic surgery where the surgeon inserts a camera in one cut and an instrument in another.
What are the benefits of GI Surgery?
- In diseases like gastric cancers, surgery will help in the removal of tumors or damaged body parts, which will be live-saving for patients, it can also improve the life condition of patients,
- In the treatment of liver cirrhosis where a liver transplant is required surgery will save a patient’s life.
- Colonoscopy: Even though it’s a minor surgical procedure but it has big benefits like catching colon cancer earlier so it can get cured timely.
There can be any side effects of the operation like infection, pain, blood clots.