What do you need to know about Liver Transplant?
The liver is the largest abdominal organ. The liver weighs about 1200 – 1500 grams of the total body weight. The liver, though a single organ, broadly it can be divided into two parts – right and left liver and 8 independent segments functioning as a single organ.
Functions of Liver
1. The liver is the powerhouse of the body. (i.e). The Process includes a series of breaking down and making up of chemically reactive and generation of energy
2. The liver converts food into soluble chemicals necessary for life and growth in the human body.
3. Liver processes and removes drugs, alcohol and other substances that are generated in the body which prove to be harmful.
4. The liver produces the effective and necessary elements useful for the absorption of fats and vitamins
5. The liver manufactures important proteins that are necessary for normal blood clotting and building up the muscles of the body.
6. The liver maintains the appropriate hormonal balances.
7. Liver stores important vitamins in the body.
Who requires a Liver Transplant?
Liver transplant may be necessary for the patients who severely suffer from:
1. Malignancies involving liver: Hepatocellular carcinoma, Hepatoblastoma,
2.Primary biliary cirrhosis
3. Long-term (chronic) active infection (hepatitis B or C)
4. Liver (hepatic) vein clot (thrombosis)
5. Birth defects of the liver
6. Metabolic disorders associated with liver failure
7.Liver damage due to alcoholism (Alcoholic cirrhosis)
Contact Dr. Sachin Palnitkar for any problems related to Liver Diseases. He is the best doctor for the treatment of Liver. He has very deep knowledge about Liver Transplantation and is a skilled professional doctor since many years.